Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Last week walk

Today was our last field trip. We loaded up the buses and went to our first site. We went to the site dedicated to the last week our the Saviors life. The first stop was a church at Bethpage where Christ began his Triumpful entry into the old city. We then went to a church dedicated the "Our Father" prayer. The prayer was on mosaics in every language imaginable. After that we walked to Dominus Flevit. This area was where the Savior said "O Jerusalem" We then went to the church of Mary Magdeline-a Russian Orthodox church. I had been there before but to go with the class was a special experience as well. We walked down to the Garden of Gethsemane. When I had gone there before I went to the area of the Church of all nations. This time we had scheduled a special garden and were able to reflect on the great sacrifice that our Savior did for us and the miracle of the Atonement. I am so very grateful for the miracle of the atonement and especially for the love that Our Heavenly Father has shown for us in the great plan that He prepared. We then had lunch in the Orson Hyde Park and went to our next site at the St. Peter Engallo Cantu (rooster sing), a church dedicated to Peter denying that he knew Christ 3 times. Shaunelle and I taught here and shared part of a talk President Hinckley gave about how even though Peter denied that he knew Christ, Peter knew when he had messed us and after he wept bitterly became once again a strong advocate for truth and righteousness. We walked to the upper room where Christ and his Apostles partook of the last supper and also where the resurrected Lord visited the apostles again. We then went to the Church of Flagellation which is dedicated to the pain that the Roman soldiers put Christ through.
We ended our field trip in the Garden tomb- there is a debate of where exactly the actual place was where Christ was buried. The Garden tomb is one of those places and is decorated with a beautiful garden. We walked in to an empty tomb. It was peaceful and the spirit was strong. He is risen. He lives and loves us. I have felt his love in so many places here in the Holy land. We will be returning home soon and upon reflecting on all of the experiences I have had here I stand all amazed at the love Jesus has for me, oh it is wonderful, wonderful to me.
We ended our day with each person sharing their testimony, we were separated in our classes so the 40 of us reflected on the miracles that we experienced and learned from. We have become a close group and have learned so much from each other. I will miss walking the streets in the Holy Land and the amazing spirit that can be felt here.

(pictures will be uploaded soon)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Mitchell, for sharing your feelings and testimony. Yes, it is wonderful to me. I haven't been to Israel (yet) but I have walked in the Kirtland Temple and the Salt Lake Temple and the Sacred Grove---so I have sort of "walked where He walked." We look forward to hearing all the details and seeing all the photos at Reunion!
Love,
Aunt Cyndy

Anonymous said...

Holy cow Jenn and Deb! I am so totally jealous its not funny. I have always wanted to make it to Jerusalem someday. I hope you are having the time of your life!

Anonymous said...

Hey Mitchell,
Where are the pictures that will be uploaded soon.????

Nice to see the "completion" of the blog. You all did a great job in capturing the spirit of all you did. Thanks for sharing!

Love, Aunt Cyndy