Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Saturday 5/31 Sunday 6/1 Monday 6/2

okay! So Shabat was so cool! we went over to Tiberias to go to church with the Tiberias branch. It was so cool! It was just a home, didn't have a sign or anything, just a house. I was almost left that morning, me with 7 other people. Luckily we made it on the bus just as it was pulling out. It was pretty scary. Anyway. I did my hair different. Lexie, this awesome girl here, has curly hair really similar to mine and so she showed me a new styling technique. it was pretty fun, big hair. Christine would be proud of me, and I'll show it to christine, it will look SO good on you. THe branch has this family that's from the US but has been living in Israel for 40 years. We don't quite know why they're there. But some "volunteers" not missionary couples are the District and branch presidents. Jenn, Me and two others sang an old hymn called "Each Cooing Dove" it was so beautiful. We blended so well. The church looks down over the sea of Galilee, just from the other side of where we live. We could only stay for Sacrament meeting because the other bus had to come over and we only had one bus. This pic is of Jenn and I with three of the branches members. The branch is so diverse that they have people singing songs in English, russian, Spanish and one other language. It reminded me so much of my mission. 
Sunday, we just had class, and then went swimming. BUT! I had something AWEFUL happen to me. I lost my awesome silver ring! NOOOOOO!!! it was horrible. I was playing keep away and it was flung off my hand. I saw it fall down, but the waves were pretty big and the sand was twisting around and I couldn't find it. It was SO sad! I loved that ring so much! I almost 
cried. the next day after our field trip I looked for it again with the Seely kids, but we couldn't find it. So sad! My first order of business once being back in Jerusalem was to find another cool ring. I did find one, but its not pure silver. I dunno, every since loosing my ring, it was a downward spiral. I lost around $35, dropped my camera 15 feet onto a mosaic floor in a synagogue in Sephoris (it still works, amazingly enough), and one of my earrings fell into a dig we were walking over. And then yesterday at the Dead sea, 
I lost my sunglasses AND left my conditioner. what's next? who knows? I'm just leaving a treasure hunt all over Israel when I come back in 10 years. So sunday we just played on the beach all day. 

Monday we had a half day field trip and we went to Sephoris and saw the mosaics and the synagogue where the Talmud was completed in 200AD. They also have a mosaic of 
Mona Lisa (that was where dropped my camera). We went also to Qazrin, which is a talmudic village. 
It showed what kinds of homes these people lived in just before the Byzantine
 Era. This picture is of me and Steven (Walter) being Gothic Farmers. 

I really liked Gamla. Its this crazy hill/precipice thing where there was a Jewish village. During the first jewish revolt (Vespasian, aka same time as Masada), it was the similar kind of story as Masada. They couldn't get into the city because it was on this precipice, and finally when they did, the jews were winning at first and then the Romans began to gain the upper hand and push them back to the precipice, in the end, the men threw their wives and children off, and jumped themselves. 4000 were killed by the Romans and 5000 jumped to their deaths.
 We had to hike down and around and then come back up. ow! my bum/thighs hurt for a day or so. We got some cool pics.  Okay! so there you go!

No comments: