Saturday, June 7, 2008

Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up!

So here's the update on the last few days home in Jerusalem. We arrived home Tuesday and it felt so good to come home! Amazing the feeling in this city. I love Jerusalem! It will forever hold a tender part of my heart. This is a home for me and I pray for peace in this homeland.
Wednesday we had class in the morning and then a full afternoon. We hit the town and got money, then shopped a little, and got a pair off shoes repaired before heading to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. It was not very busy which made the experience all the better. (Picture is of me right outside of the Sepulchre) After the Sepulchre we headed to Dung Gate and the Temple Institute. This is a group that are preparing for the building of the temple that will welcome the Savior when he comes. It was amazing. They are actually quite a fanatical group and considered terrorists by some. Lets hope we didn't support any terrorist actions by going there! :) I took tons of pictures because I know mom would especially be interested in all the stuff they have prepared.
Afterward we headed back into the Old City for some more shopping and then out to dinner for a birthday celebration (Ashley Andersen). went out to West Jerusalem and had aWe great time. At one point Deb and I tried our hand at being street musicians. We sang with a hat out in front but all we got were some smiles and a few people took pictures. We could remember all the songs we know how to sing together so we've decided to make a list and next time we will be prepared! It was just fun to be out with friends. We tried to make it back to Jaffa Gate for a concert that was going on but we were too late and sorely disappointed. It looked like it was a great concert. Maybe we'll catch another one before we leave!
Thursday was a full field trip day. I'll give you the run down but I'll have Deb or Mitchell write up the specifics. We started the day early at Masada in an attempt to beat the heat but it was still crazy hot. That was an amazing fortress! We then went to Ein Gedi where we swam in the Dead Sea. That was crazy. You really do just float! We also hiked up to some waterfalls before heading to our last stop at Qumran where they discovered the Dead Sea Scrolls. That place was cool because our very own Dr. Seely was the editor of six of the scrolls! He really is an amazing man and we love it when he is on our bus because we get to ask him all kinds of questions. We got back in time for dinner at the JC.
That night we had a lecture by Ophir to prepare us to attend his synagogue on Friday. Pretty cool stuff on the Jewish traditions associated with Shabbat. I'll I've got to say is that the Jews know how to anticipate and celebrate a holy day.
Friday we went to Yad Vashem (Holocaust Museum) in the morning and it was incredible! One of the most amazing museums I have ever been to. We came back after that and I got some reading done and took a nap before going back into the old city to get some money for Mitchell and go to Omar's (the olive wood shop). I found a beautiful, simple nativity that I really love so I was excited about that.
But the best part of Friday was going to Synagogue to welcome in Shabbat. It was so great! We great everyone "Shabbat Shalom!" singing the songs was incredible. Music is the way to my heart and I have never felt so prepared for the Sabbath to come. The sun set and I was ready for Shabbat. It made it even more wonderful when it was Fast Sunday for us. I hope I can get some of the music for the Shabbat evening service. I really was one of the most amazing experiences I have had. We danced and we sang and I was really moved by the words of the psalms we sung. These people have a relationship with God that I really admire but in the end I have this amazing desire to help them know the Savior they are waiting for.
Anyway, today has been a wonderful Sabbath and tomorrow we head for Jordan! The sun has just set and I have some preparation to do before going to bed. We have an early start in the morning. We want to be the first buses at the boarder! We'll see what happens. Once again, you won't hear from us for a few days but just think of us in Bethany, Mt. Nebo (the real one), Petra, Amman, and several other cool sights. Maybe watch the older Indiana Jones with Petra in it and think of us! We love you! We'll be back on Wednesday night!

No comments: