Thursday, May 1, 2008

Prayers of Thanksgiving

Customs were uneventful as we entered Tel Aviv and it was so fun to come out and see a group there waiting for us including Uncle Craig Ostler and Sandy! It was great to see family and get a good hug welcoming us to the Holy Land.
We loaded our stuff on a bus and started up the 2600 ft. climb in elevation to Jerusalem. Our ears were popping as Brother Ostler and Brother Draper, our religion professors, begin talking about the terrain we were passing through. The country is beautiful and the street lamps are decorated with flags in preparation for the 60 year independence celebration next week. I guess a lot of dignitaries will even be coming in town for it.As we rounded a few corners, the west side of the city came into view and I had to pinch myself! I can't believe I am here in the Holy Land! I was overwhelmed by the beautiful limestone buildings scattered among a surprisingly large amount of greenery. But when we rounded a final corner and saw the Dome of the Rock and the Temple Mount I was moved to tears. I can't believe I have been blessed enough to do this! To be here! My gratitude is indeed great!The Jerusalem Center is a beautiful building and boasts the most impressive view of the city. I will have to take more pictures so you can really appreciate what we have.
We had all kinds of meetings and finally got to go to bed around 9:30pm, Isreal time. We were all so tired. We unpacked our stuff, showered and got ready for bed. We have a patio outside our room and you can see the city and the Dome from our beds.
The Arabs have their calls to prayer every few hours. There is a recording broad casted from the hills in beautiful, singing Arabic. I haven't figured out the schedule yet but I'm sure I will. About 4am I couldn't sleep because of jet lag, I went out on the patio when the calls begin again and said my own prayer of gratitude to a loving Heavenly Father who is allowing me this precious experience. I am determined to offer a prayer of thanks every time I hear those prayer calls. I want to experience this place to its fullest! There is so much to do and so much to see! We are about to leave on a walk of the city. More later from a heart full of gratitude in Jerusalem!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How beatiful! What a blessing to be able to go. Keep the pictures coming

Aric said...

Wow. That's all I can say. Amazing. What beautiful, sacred experiences you are having. I said a prayer of thanksgiving to after I read this. Keep them coming Jen!