Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Bible stories

Today we went and saw many valleys in the Israel. We also learned about the stories of the Bible and visited the actual locations where the battles took place. It was really cool and quite surreal to realize that we were in places where battles took place, where Samson lived and where David slew Goliath. In each place we related the stories of the Bible and how they relate to us. We also went to these caves that are underneath the ground. Some they dug for dove homes, and others they dug to be cisterns.

They are incredible structures that were absolutely amazing!
We also went to the ruins of a city called Lachish. Below I am in temple ruins at the city of Lachish in what was the Holoy of Holies, the most holy part of the temple.
In the Valley of Elah We reenacted the David and Goliath story. I was the bottom half of Goliath, it was fun. Then we tried to throw a rock with a sling (very difficult!). And the cousins all made the slings into nose warmers. The nose warmers are a remembrance of a wonderful Christmas we had with our Grandpa and Grandma Weiss. I am so grateful for the opportunity to be here. It is incredible to realize everyday that I am actually here, seeing where the Bible stories actually took place.
(I have edited this post and have to apologize for the incoherent blog's that I have written sometimes- usually I blog at night and I am tired so I am sorry)

4 comments:

Mark and Cyndy Weiss said...

I am so pleased you are having this experience. I can't imagine what it must be like, to relive this sacred history, and connect with the actual locations. This is the kind of "study" that makes sense to me. Connecting history with today!

Anonymous said...

Nose warmers in Israel?

Cougarfan#1 said...

I love those shots. the nose warmers bring back some fond memories. What an experience!

Jessi said...

So in your picture of the Valley of Elah, you totally got a snapshot of my cousin Dan Ricks! Was he David? ;0) You guys are awesome!! Glad you're having a blast!