Friday, May 9, 2008

Welcoming in Shabbat

This blog is so good for us three here in Jerusalem. We stay on top of our Journal this way and we feel pressure to post because the others have posted and its our turn again. At least that is how I feel. Both Deb and Mitchell have posted since me and so I guess I'd better get on it again!
I just had the most amazing experience so far here in Jerusalem. But first let me catch you up on the last two days. Wednesday we did an all day field trip that Mitchell blogged about. We started in Beth Shemesh in the Sorek Valley. It was here in the land inherited by the tribe of Dan that Samson grew as a Nazerine and slew the Philistines. We saw city of Zorah, where he was born. It is so amazing to see these places! We also went to Azekah, the mountain fortress that was almost never conquered because of its defenses. Azekah also overlooks the Valley of Elah, where David and Goliath took place. Next was Maresha in the Valley of Guvrin. We also went to some amazing caves in this region where it is rumored the last Israelites hid out when they were conquered by the Romans. Finally we visited the ruined city of Lachish in the Lachish valley. This was also a mountain city that was considered a gem if conquered. Here there were some small Temple ruins. I guess Pres. Hinckley wasn't the first to think of the idea after all! All of these valleys made of the Shephelah or low country that divided Israel from the Philistines in the coastal plains and are the location of many a battle. Anyway, it was a full day and we came back dusty and tired.
Thursday we had class in the AM and then we hit the town! We visited the Tower of David and I learned so much! I discovered I am my mother's daughter. I remember going to museums with mom and dying in impatience as she had to read every sign and see every exhibit. Yesterday the tables were turned as I was so frustrated to be hurried through by other students who were too tired to appreciate the amazing historical collection that is the Tower of David. I could easily go back there for another hour or more. I guess that means I'm just going to have to come back! Maybe I can go back another day.
Okay, now to today. We had class all morning and a OT (Old Testament) midterm in the afternoon. I think I did great! I am really grateful we have stayed on top of the reading because that made the test pretty straightforward.
Tonight we went down to the Western Wall of the Temple Mount. Today is Friday and at sundown the Jews welcome in the Shabbat. It was the most amazing experience yet. Jews have a choice to welcome in Shabbat at local Synagogues or to come to the Western Wall where the whole community joins in celebration together. We went onto the womens side of the wall and watched the men for a while before Deb and I went up to the wall. If this is the closest thing I can get to a temple here in the Holy Land then I wanted to be there with family. There were so many people there tonight we had to wait for quite a while before we could get within reach but it was worth the wait. I wrote out a prayer for our family before the Sabbath and found a niche in the wall. It was a touching experience to be there and I felt the Spirit surrounded by so many others praying. The only thing I can relate the feeling to is being in the temple. I prayed there touching the wall and thought of all the prayers throughout the centuries that have ascended to heaven from that wall. Such faith and devotion. It is truly moving. After Deb and I backed away from the wall we gave each other a hug. It was so appropriate and I was so grateful for temples and the ordinances that have been restored through a living prophet. Christ has come! Elijah has come! The sealing power is on the earth and temples dot the earth! We have such reason to rejoice! And rejoice we did! The Jews know how to sing and dance and rejoice at the coming of the Sabbath. We joined some younger groups singing and dancing together as we together welcomed in Shabbat! As we walked back up to the Mt. of Olives I felt renewed and refreshed just as I do each time I leave the restored Temples of God. It was the best way to prepare for the Sabbath. I want to go back again while I am here since that is the closest thing I am going to get to a temple here. It has only been just over a week since we arrived here! What amazing things we have seen already. I still have to pinch myself sometimes to think I am living in Jerusalem. And on Sunday we go to Egypt! I am so blessed!

No comments: