Thursday, May 1, 2008

Today in Jerusalem!


Well it's been quite the adventure today. We got up and had another orientation. Since monday i've had 4 orientations! and I'm sure that it'll continue. After that we had our Near Eastern Studies Class (NES) with Brother Seely. He's way cool. His undergrad was in greek, one masters in classics (greek/latin), another masters in NES and a Phd in Ancient Eastern Studies. He's really entertaining. I'm going to learn a LOT a lot! The way they have it set up is that we have manuals for the class, but also one for the Field Trips and the religion teachers work closely with the NES teacher so that we learn about one thing and then go and see it. Pretty cool how that works. Theoretically thats how it should always be. Learn about Jerusalem, go see Jerusalem. So today we went on a walk in Jerusalem. We couldn't bring cameras today so I don't have any good pictures BUT don't worry. We have two months. 

This first picture is of the area around the airport in Vienna Austria. The yellow fields they tell me are all mustard seed. Its so beautiful there! The next picture of the hebrew w
riting is on a wall as we were heading up to the JC. I asked craig what it said and he said, "Jerusalem Welcomes Deb!" So, just for reference, if you ever want to say that to me in a letter, you just need to copy down 
those words.  

The weather is so great. Nice and warm with a cool breeze. The JC really does have the best view of Jerusalem. We started from the JC and walked down Mount Scopus through the Kidron Valley and up to the walls of Jerusalem. We passed Herod's gate. (they told us not to en
ter there because it just goes into the residential Moslem quarter and they don't like to have tourists there, and there really isn't a reason to be the
re. No shopping.) But we went up and met Aladdin! he's a money changer that they've used for like 25 years or more. He's really funny. There's so much to see! We walked by the entrances to the traditional site of Calvary, the Garden tomb, and the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. The church was way busy and full of people. We didn't come in but we'll plan a trip to come back. The whole trip was just a quick test taster so that we can begin to come on our own. 
I am now so tired! I'm heading to dinner and then more orientation. Imagine that! We'll be getting our Cell phones (aka GPS devices that keep track of all the students) and our head sets (to use on the field trips). We 're going out on a geography field trip tomorrow. It is so amazing being here and seeing all this first hand. Its still so surreal. I look outside the JC down the hill to Jerusalem and I just have to shake my head and laugh at the wonder of being here. Its no longer "next year in Jerusalem" its now Today in Jerusalem. 

2 comments:

Tam said...

Thanks for the phone call!!! What fun you get to be there with the greatest Sandy & Craig. Just make sure you bribe him with Pumpkin Cookies - they are his FAVORITE! :) I am glad you are experiencing this place. Your comments will help me remember my own experience. Write a lot! Love you! Tam

Unknown said...

Hey cute girl! I am super JEALOUS!! Please take pictures for me. The people, scenery and of course anything and everything historical and religious! I will need to live through you!!